11. January 2007

Copy Paste Doesn't Work in Windows

This personally happened to me in my office. I never used to shut down my machine and most of the works are based on copy and paste in any IT companies, i used to heavily use copy paste thing in windows while in work .At the end of a day suddenly copy paste thing didn’t work for me. I copied things but no paste option was highlighted. That meant my whole work stopped. And to overcome this i searched for the windows Clipboard viewer.which i found in windows System32 folder named “clipbrd”. I just ran the clipbrd from the run option in Start menu of the Windows ( XP ). then i deleted the clipboard from Edit menu. Bingo, Everything was fine after that. My work resumed.

Click to enlarge the Image

1. Anurag From UNITED STATES (UNITED STATES) Wrote on 08. August 2008 at 11:35 pm

Thanks for this post. This is an annoying problem, and I used to reboot my machine to address this. Your technique is much better 🙂

2. Bruno From CANADA (CANADA) Wrote on 26. September 2008 at 11:19 am

Whoa, thanks, I thought I had discovered you can’t copy and paste 404 pages of text at once but I guess it actually saturated the copy and paste function ’cause I couldn’t do it anymore at all.
Thanks for the insight, my life would end if I were left with no copy and paste! 😛

3. Sangeeta From INDIA (INDIA) Wrote on 11. June 2009 at 10:39 pm

I had found clipbrd.exe and I kept getting the message “clipbook viewer cannot display the informatiaon in its current format”.

This is a really simple solution. Thank you!

4. Vb Reader From SINGAPORE (SINGAPORE) Wrote on 12. August 2009 at 12:35 pm

imagine a day without copy paste in visual studio.

you will hate programming after some time if copy paste is disabled

5. Bob From UNITED STATES (UNITED STATES) Wrote on 21. September 2009 at 6:04 am

My Copy and Paste utility became unusable for the following reasons. If anything about this posting is similar to what you have on your system, then I may have the solution for you. I was running Microsoft Office Professional ‘97 as my WORD and spreadsheet programs. However, later on I installed a newer version of WORD that came with my PC that was on a disc called Microsoft Works Suite 2004. I also downloaded and installed Mozilla Firefox as an alternate browser. This is when all my problems started. I fixed the Copy and Paste problem by uninstalling all of MS Works Suite, then I installed a completely new and dedicated version of Microsoft Office 2002, then I uninstalled Mozilla Firefox, and I refreshed Internet Explorer back to default settings. I also needed to update my McAfee anti-virus but you may not have to do that depending on what program you use. Everything works great now and my computer even runs faster. No more worries. I never needed to mess with my Registry. I didn’t have to end Processes. I haven’t had to run Spyware programs either. It was all in the programs in had downloaded and installed that caused the problem.

6. oday From LAO PEOPLE (LAO PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC) Wrote on 28. September 2009 at 9:33 am

7. Dan 174.7.65.240 not found Wrote on 11. January 2011 at 6:21 am

Hey, I was wondering why everytime I try to copy some text I highlight it and all I get is a little blue square with an arrow in it next to the highlighted text? When I right click the highlighted text to copy it nothing happens

8. Mike From UNITED STATES (UNITED STATES) Wrote on 14. February 2011 at 7:57 am

Great post! Worked like a charm. Thanks a lot! The only problem was that my clipboard viewer, clipbrd.exe, was uninstalled by one of windows update, but I kept all the uninstall files and I found it.

9. escort ilan From TURKEY (TURKEY) Wrote on 01. May 2011 at 6:20 am

Whoa, this was driving me nuts! i even considered reinstalling/repairing the file but I wasn’t sure if it’d help or screw me over even more.. sağol lan kamil 😀

10. oridroo 180.234.59.122 not found Wrote on 01. June 2011 at 1:09 am

Wow! Great. Once I had this kind of problem. Then I re set up the windows to W7 and the problem solved. But here I learn something new and willing to apply in future.

11. sean From UNITED STATES (UNITED STATES) Wrote on 22. June 2011 at 3:22 am

Thanks for the quick fix. Life without the copy and paste would be crazy. (Amazing the things we come to depend on.) Thought I was about to spend hours scouring the internet to find the solution. A couple of months ago my wife’s laptop got the dreaded Un mountable boot volume error. It was toast until hours of research finally solved the problem.

12. oliver From PHILIPPINES (PHILIPPINES) Wrote on 04. November 2011 at 8:12 pm

That’s a brilliant work-around! Kudos!